Useful Information (19/02/2012)
The Sacrament of Baptism - Firstly, we want to congratulate you on the birth of your child. We also want to welcome this new born child into our Parish Community. Parents are the first teachers of their child in the way of way. The Baptism preparation is an effort to help them in that role. Your child's Baptism will be a special moment for you and your family. It will also be a special moment for our parish as we welcome your child into the Christian Community.
The Baptismal Service
1. The Baptism celebration begins with the welcome of the child into the church. The Sign of the Cross is traced on the child's forehead to show that he/she belongs to Christ.
2. We listen to the Word of God
3. We pray for the child and his/her family.
4. The child is anointed with the Oil of Cathechumens to give strength.
5. The water of Baptism is blessed. Water is for cleansing. Water is also necessary for life.
6. We renew our Baptismal promises.
7. The child is blessed.
8. The child is anointed with the Oil of Chrism to give strength to live as a friend of Jesus, and bring others to Jesus.
9. The White Garment is a sign of Christian dignity.
10. The Candle symbolises Christ as the light of the world.
11. The child's mouth and ears are blessed.
12. We conclude our celebration of Baptism by looking forward to the next Sacrament the child will celebrate - First Communion and Confirmation.
13. We pray the Our Father - the prayer that unites all Christians.
14. The Final Blessing of the newly Baptised child, the child's parents and the whole community who have gathered to celebrate the Baptism, is given.
15. The Dismissal - we are all sent out to bring God's peace to our world.
Things to Note:
• Parents are to bring a candle and separate White Garment.
• The name that you give your child is important.
• Sponsors should have reached the age of 16 years.
• The extended family members are all welcome to participate in the Baptism ceremony.
A Parent's Blessing
When you were born
Our hearts were so full of happiness
That there was no room in us for words.
When you were growing
Our hearts were so full of care for you
That we spoke soothingly
And sometimes sharply.
Fearful for your safety,
But always in the deepest places of our hearts
We spoke lovingly.
As we watch you
Moving forward with your friends
We marvel at all you have done
Our spirits sing praise to God
For the gift that is you.
And, though our hearts
Have stretched to love others,
Yet, there is still a place within us
That is yours and only yours,
For the light you have shone on us,
For the life you have called us to,
For the special gift of God
You are now, and will ever be,